[Sca-cooks] Period substitute for tomatoes?

Barbara Nostrand nostrand at demoivre.org
Sun Aug 23 20:49:55 PDT 2009

Noble Cousin!

Greetings from Solveig!

> When I get to an event that opens at five on Friday, though, and
> Sabbath begins around 8:00 PM to 9:00 PM, that gives me VERY
> LIMITED time in which to follow someone else's recipe for foods
> that have to be completely cooked and edible at least an hour
> before sunset.

Ahh - are you really sure about the "completely cooked and edible at
least an hour before sunset" part. I'm pretty sure that this is not
necessary. Have you discussed this with a Rabbi? I'm pretty sure that
you just need to stop doing stuff right before lighting candles.
Chabad has this to say about candle lighting time:
> Candle Lighting time:
> The accepted custom is to light Shabbat and Yom Tov candles 18
> minutes before shkiah (sunset). Some communities have adopted
> earlier times as their unique custom for candle lighting time.

Regardless, your food can continue to cook. In fact, unless you are a
embracing the Karaite movement, you are sort of required to eat hot
food on Saturday. There can be special requirements about direct
contact with fire and dealing with multiple containers. Anyway, you
should be able to make all sorts of stuff that is both simple and
doesn't finish until as late as several hours after sundown or even
Saturday afternoon. Think roast chicken, chicken soup, stew, &c. For
that matter, broiled, boiled, smoked, or pickled fish would be
appropriate starters for Friday evenings.

Hummus should be nice and period and requires no cooking.