[Sca-cooks] Contests was Definition of "Period Cooking" was Re: Substitute for Potatoes?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Aug 24 18:44:03 PDT 2009

With regard to the culinary arts, the Midrealm has very clear rules
that both explain and define what it is that being sought in an A&S entry.

These are located online at:
Cooking: Subtleties, Sotelties, and Illusion Foods
http://www.midrealm.org/moas/criteria/cooking-subtleties_sotelties_illusion.pdf
Cooking: Multiple Dish
http://www.midrealm.org/moas/criteria/cooking-muti_dish.pdf
Cooking: Single Dish
http://www.midrealm.org/moas/criteria/cooking-single_dish.pdf

What is written there to explain documentation for a single dish is:
"Documentation addresses the scholarship of the entry. It must contain
certain elements that
address the historical origins of the dish and development of a modern
version versus the
historical or original dish. It should:
• Demonstrate an understanding of pre-1600 historical foods, methods of
cookery,
philosophies, etc.
• Discuss the intended environment for the dish (ex: royal feast, manor
house, holiday
feast), what occasion the dish is created for as well as presentation
and serving method
appropriate to the period.
• Include the original recipe and translation if not in English as well
as the modern working
recipe. Indicate if it is an original redaction or if was developed by
someone else.
• Provide clear instructions, procedures, and method of working that can
be followed"

Does this help explain what we mean when we stress documentation? The
Cooks of the Society
and the members of this List are for the most part very dedicated and
grounded
upon research into historical cookery and ingredients. We are so lucky
today in that more and more
texts, manuscripts, and books are available and are indexed so as to
allow us to more easily research and find marvelous recipes.
When I joined thirty six years ago this month, we had very few sources
that existed outside
of the library's microfilm rooms and closed stacks. Now I can sit at
home and summon up texts
in European libraries, I can browse manuscript illuminations of cooking
and ingredients from early manuscripts,
and I can exchange knowledge and do searches for my friends not only in
my local community, my kingdom,
but around the entire world.

Johnnae llyn Lewis