[Sca-cooks] Substitute for Potatoes?

Judith Epstein judith at ipstenu.org
Tue Aug 25 04:58:37 PDT 2009

On Aug 24, 2009, at 6:13 PM, David Friedman wrote:
> Do you think bluejeans are period garb? They are, as I pointed out
> in another post, made from period ingredients.

No, they're not Period. They're twill-weave, which isn't Period. If
the exact same fibers, dye, and buttons (not zippers, of course) were
used, minus trademarks, but on evenweave cloth rather than twill, I'd
suggest that they were Period-plausible, but not Period. Ingredient
use + construction method. Ingredient *combination* is what I think
we're discussing.

Now, I'm done with this. I've already posted my actual thoughts on
CONTEST versus CAMP COOKERY, and I'm over it. Let's move on to a topic
in which someone besides me is spamming the list.

Judith