[Sca-cooks] Twill weaves and garb, was Re: Substitute for Potatoes?

S CLEMENGER sclemenger at msn.com
Tue Aug 25 06:45:21 PDT 2009

Everyone can afford garb.  My first attempts at SCA clothing came from some
(really decent) white brocade curtains I salvaged from the back of the
Salvation Army.  (I made ItalianRen).  Unless you're doing some extensive
event like Pennsic, you actually only need a few outfits, depending on local
weather.  Medievals (unless they were royals) hardly had a closet full of
stuff....Good clothing (in any time period) is an investment, but there are
ways to be canny and clever about getting good quality....
I'm as dedicated to researching, developing, and recreating textiles and
their uses during various historical periods as most of the people on this
list are about food and medieval recipes.  So I can talk at great length
about what is and is not appropriate/possible/workable.  Blue jeans are
right. out. even. if. you're. broke.
--Maire