[Sca-cooks] Newbie Welcoming Techniques, was Contests was Definition of "Period Cooking" was Re: Substitute for Potatoes?

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Aug 25 07:33:51 PDT 2009

Well, we seem to have a misunderstanding here. SCA-Cooks list has
developed for serious period cooks, which is not to say that we don't
talk about other stuff, but our focus is serious period cookery.
Consequently, if someone arrives and tells us all about how they
intend to invent their own version of period cookery, we're going to
try to direct you into doing it the right way, and we're also going to
explain WHY we think our way is the right way.

Honestly, we don't care what you cook, as long as you're happy with
it. But, coming in here and telling us you're going to invent your own
version of period cookery by only using period ingredients in modern
recipes is rather like going into a draft horse list, and telling the
members you're going to use a draft horse to pull your plow by putting
a horse face with ears on the front of your tractor.

We realize everyone has to start somewhere- we're just trying to give
you the best place to start.