[Sca-cooks] burgundy salt?

Anne-Marie Rousseau dailleurs at liripipe.com
Wed Aug 26 15:35:26 PDT 2009

hi all from Anne-Marie

back to food :)

when in France last year (like how I threw that in? subtle, non? ;)) they served fois gras with cracked green
peppercorns and a burgundy salt. this was a sea salt that had been somehow infused with red wine.

it was LOVELY....pretty color, great large distinct crystals and awesome flavor and texture that punctated the
fois gras (local, of course :)) perfectly.

any idea how to make that? if one takes sea salt, mixes it with wine, can you then boil off the liquid and get
large clear red crytals? any tips or tricks?

(no, I am not saying this is period. but it would be a lovely thing to serve with my last tin of smuggled fois
gras at a modern french dinner party, dont you think?)

--AM