[Sca-cooks] New Castelvetro

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Aug 29 14:31:06 PDT 2009

The full write up is at Prospect Books UK
http://www.kal69.dial.pipex.com/shop/pages/isbn644.htm

"This is a new edition of a classic of early 17th-century food writing.
The book was written by the Italian refugee, educator and humanist
Giacomo Castelvetro who had been saved from the clutches of the
Inquisition in Venice by the English ambassador, Sir Dudley Carleton in
1611. .... Gillian Riley’s translation of this hitherto unpublished
document has been recognised as being fluent, entertaining and accurate
from its first appearance in 1989."

This edition is printed in two colours, has a graceful typography (using
the Galliard typeface) and generous layout, and is equipped with a
knowledgeable and informative introduction by the translator.

We'll have to get a copy I guess to see if it varies from the 1989 one.

Johnnae