[Sca-cooks] Spices, Spice Names

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 29 15:04:41 PDT 2009

I wrote:
>  Has anyone complied a list of period and modern spice names for any
>cookbook? I know
>  some cooks on this list specialize in one culture, so i thought
>maybe a few of you might
>  have made a list of spices with their original and modern English
>names from your favorite
>  cookbook.
>
>  I'm not asking someone to do all the work. But i figured if i can
>get a few lists, it will give
>  me a bit of a head start and i won't have to go through dozens of
>cookbooks from scratch.

And at 5:40 PM -0400 29/08/09, Johnna Holloway replied:
>  You could of course just use Doc's list at
>  http://www.medievalcookery.com/spices.html
>
>  Page down and there is an A-Z list of the spices and herbs and in
>which cookbooks
>  they appear and which are handily included already in his index.
>  Plus who carries which spice is also listed.
>  It's like one stop shopping.

Well, as usual, i am forgetting Doc's wonderful web resource. Thanks
for pointing me back to it. I will pass his link along.

But, of course, this person wants the medieval names, too, although
they refused to specify what language, time period, or culture. And
Doc's excellent and expansive list doesn't include them :-(

Given their attitude, i figure they are thinking only in terms of
English (must be an American to think English is the only language
:-), although these are assumptions on my part, and possibly not true
in fact. I'll go digging around in Curye on Inglysch/Forme of Curye,
as i know the glossary is excellent and start there in the search for
medieval names.

Just ain't no such animal as "a simple list of Medieval/Period spices
and modern names from A to Z", although Doc's list is a great modern
list of medieval spices.

Thanks, again.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)