[Sca-cooks] Tapas

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 08:54:10 PDT 2009

Terry Decker wrote:
> In that case, recipes are immaterial and the determination of the history of
> tapas is based on the word usage.  To determine the history, ignore the
> apochrypha and concentrate on the actual usage, which is not easily located
> in English translation.  At least I haven't been able to find it.
>
> While tapas has moved into English (well, Amurican), the word does not
> appear in my copy of the OED.  A quick ref dictionary, gives no usage, but
> says that the word derives from the Spanish for "cap" and is of Germanic
> origin.  If that is correct, then the original word is likely "die Kappe."
> Should the Germanic origin be correct, it likely places the linguistic
> transfer prior to 1700.

 From all indications the word "tapa" (lid), meaning hors oeuvres, did
not come into use until the 18th Century in
Spain when the story of a slice of ham was placed on top of a glass of
sherry to keep the flies away became popular but the custom of eating
hors oeuvres, a snack or light meal and drinking a liquid is traced back
to the Arabs due to the heat in regions where they lived.