[Sca-cooks] Helpful Hint from Whomever #987

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Aug 2 09:32:54 PDT 2009

On Aug 2, 2009, at 12:20 PM, Judith Epstein wrote:

> I haven't used this trick, but I find that a really sharp knife will
> bite into mango flesh nicely even while it simply rests lightly in
> the palm and/or fingers of the other hand.

Sure, a really sharp knife always improves a situation, all other
things being equal. I used to work with a Swedish cook who espoused
the tao of dull knives and greater pressure. That is, I worked with
him until he cut his finger off with a dull knife... The problem with
mangoes, in my experience, especially really ripe ones, is that
they're really slippery as you peel them; almost like ice, in that
gravity alone is enough to produce a sort of frictionless lubricating
fluid (a.k.a. juice) between two solid objects. I have yet to run
across the mango whose inertial mass is sufficient to offset
displacement by even the sharpest knife.

But again, yes, a sharp knife is definitely always a help.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter