[Sca-cooks] Sicilian Pizza

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 7 08:24:26 PDT 2009

> It's my understanding that nobody has placed Chicago pan

> pizza (as opposed to Sicilian pizza, also baked in a pan) prior

> to Pizzeria Uno in 1943 --

> Adamantius

I lived for quite some time in Sicily and no pizza that I ever got

was either cooked or served in a pan.

They were all the usual flatbreads cooked directly on the oven

floor and served on a plate. This was before the woodfired oven

baked pizza craze hit America so it was rather surprising at first

to have pizza with very little cheese or sauce and with bits of

ash and cinders. The pools of olive oil were also different.

And they were always eaten with knife and fork. To pick them up

with the hands was barbaric.

But I came to love the thick, chewy crust and even appreciate the

smoky and salty bursts in the cinders.

One thing nobody ever seems to mention is the wonderful chicken

and sausage roasting shops that are everywhere in Sicily. Beautiful

roasted chickens and Sweet Italian sausages on rotating spits in front

of huge gas fires.

Gunthar