[Sca-cooks] Sicilian Pizza

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 7 09:47:09 PDT 2009

> You're going to tell me you never saw Turkish Taffy in Istanbul, either?
>
> I'm sure you're right. However, be that as it may, the stuff that is
> purveyed as Sicilian pizza by the places with those gas-fired Ray Bari
> pizza ovens, is baked in a pan. I'm not prepared to say it's how it's
> done exclusively, but it is at least commonly done that way.

I wasn't sure if you were referring to true Sicilian Pizza or how a

totally different prouct is marketed. And, for all I know, pizza in

Palermo is different from the rest of the island.

And with the American marketing monster, it is nearly impossible

to tell what is authentic and what is made up by some guy in

and office that he thinks will appeal to the idiot American masses.

Like I've determined that I can become a millionaire by creating the

ultimate marketable sandwich:

A Tuscan Chipotle Chicken Pannini sandwich.

I've seen many "Sicilian" products advertised that have absolutely

nothing to do with Sicily.

> but what I've
> seen a nekkid focaccio-like unit is baked lightly in a pan, then
> topped and rebaked, possibly after removing from the pan.

Nope, nothing at all like basic country Sicilian style pizza.

> I'm sure there are key differences in how pizza di Napoli is made in
> Naples and elsewhere, too (and I don't just mean the war atrocities
> committed by Dominoes), but unfortunately authenticity, orthodoxy and
> simple reality aren't always the same thing.

Pizza de Napoli is mainly a thin crust style with tomato sauce, fresh herbs

and a bit more cheese than in other areas of Italy. It is usually baked in

pretty large rectangles instead of the classic round and there is debate

on whether or not it is acceptable to be eaten by hand.

And the pizza is the ONLY reason to visit Naples.

> Adamantius

Gunthar