[Sca-cooks] Stevia was Re: Agave syrup

Patricia Dunham chimene at ravensgard.org
Fri Aug 7 13:52:16 PDT 2009

If you figure out how to get it from the leaf to a more usable form,
do let us know, pls!  We got a plant last year and the leaves are
great, but the sweet doesn't transfer directly into hot (tea) water,
if crushed green, or dried and powdered.

We were absolutely amazed that it perennialed on us this spring.  It
had died to the ground, and we had an unusually hard winter (two BIG
snows for Eugene OR), but it's back, happy as a pig!  Twice or three
times the size as last year's.

We are very happily using the herbal extract form (from the local
hippie grocery) for our tea, since my DH went Type II on us last
summer.  It was a dire couple of months with no tea, until I found
the liquid extract!  (that was why we went hunting for the plant, too)

chimene