[Sca-cooks] Seeking Cheesy Goodness in WI

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 12:03:50 PDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 2:27 PM, <lilinah at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I made our reservations to tour Taliesin and Hillside. I'm trying to decide
> whether to go to House on the Rock afterwards or to one of the sites
> mentioned below.

If you do decide to go to House on the Hill, especially after touring
Taliesin and Hillside, I'd recommend seeing only Parts 1 & 2...otherwise
you'll get sensory overload.  There is so much "STUFF" at the House on the
Rock...Even though it was the first thing we visited on the day we went
there, I still was very tired after seeing it!

> Saturday morning we pick up a Hybrid and head west. My plan is to use Mt.
> Horeb as our home base. We stay at a 1950s motor court. Nothin' fancy,
> knotty pine paneling, but a good price - and they have WiFi. And the Mustard
> Museum is there! Sometimes i just eat mustard right out of the jar with a
> spoon. (and i don't mean that fake French's yellow abomination!)

Then you'll love the Mustard Museum...and they have a store that sells a
wide variety of mustards...we bought so many that we wound up having to ship
a box home...between that and a raid on Penzeys in Madison!

> The main focus of the trip is visiting outsider art/ folk art/ vernacular
> art sites:

If that's the case, you definitely want to see Little Norway...it's
literally a village that was constructed originally as a Norwegian
settlement, then purchased by a wealthy man as his summer retreat.  One of
the main attractions is a stave church/building that was sent to the US as
part of the St. Louis World's Fair at the end of the 19th century.

Your trip sounds like a lot of fun.  Our focus was architecture,
particularly that of Frank Lloyd Wright.  We visited several sites in
Chicago, and Madison and Spring Green, Wisconsin.  I filled up one 2 gig
card and a fair amount of a second.  I'll be posting selected pictures on my
Picasa site and will let everyone know where they are.

Kiri