[Sca-cooks] Haggis Tempest

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun Aug 9 07:36:56 PDT 2009

I am still trying to work my way back to the initial article.
Some of the actual letters and comments to the English papers actually
noted the earlier recipes in Austin's Two 15th Century Cookery Books.
I suspect the Sunday papers will do also on the controversy and those will
be online soon.
I did like the phrasing of McCall Smith
"Of course there was no published Scottish recipe for haggis before
then, for the simple reason that it would have been quite unnecessary
for Scots to publish a recipe for something that everybody in Scotland
knew how to make. Why state the obvious? It’s as simple as that."

Now where have we heard that argument made time and again.
But the fact remains the Scots didn't publish a cookbook in Scotland
until 1736, so
published recipes come rather late into the game.

I am wondering what set it all off at this time.

Johnnae