[Sca-cooks] Largesse: What to avoid.

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 10 08:40:00 PDT 2009

I think it depends on what you mean by largess.

Are you making gift baskets or items to be given to the

Crown to use Themselves or for Them to give out?

BIG difference there.

Things to give a Crown for Them to hand out:

Nice trim, beads, strings of gems.

Elegant items that may reflect their personnas or devices.

Favors with their sigil that they can give to fighters or such.

Fans

Rings in their size. I personally loved to give people a ring off

my finger.

Nice daggers, axes, even swords for very special gifts.

Hand sewn items such as hankerchiefs.

Veils with nice veil pins

Perhaps spices or cooking utensils they can give to feast stewards.

(Things like period cooking tools, such as period knives or stoneware

are AWESOME!)

Silk or paper umbrellas.

Small items they can carry on their person or in a small basket.

Things to give for Them to use:

Gas Cards

White boards with markers

Wooden frames like used for wax tablets that fit their PDA's.

Silk or paper umbrellas.

Silk banners with their arms

A "medical pack" of things like baby powder, throat lozenges, asprin,

eye drops, sunscreen, etc...

Veils with nice veil pins.

Take up a collection and pay for a motel room for a night.

Every Queen loves Rose jewelry.

Items to enhance their personnas

Cloaks

Gloves

Pouches that have room for stuff.

Mini-flashlights.

All liquids or foods must be clearly marked as to what they are

and when they were made. And "House Targarvagen Cure-All"

don't count unless said Royals know what the hell that is.

Hoods, veils, keffiyas, etc...to keep the sun and rain off them and

to hopefully curb their desire to wear sunglasses.

A little folding chair the Queen can sit on to watch the fighting,

even a mundane one is okay if her skirts conceal it.

Things to avoid:

Soap

Salt

Candles

Mystery food

Anything with the Kingdom Arms on it. That makes it Kingdom

Regalia and they don't get to keep it.

Animals unless you know they REALLY want it.

Heavily perfumed items.

Stuff obviously from garage sales or second hand stores.

Poorly made items just because you think you have to give

them something. Trust me, most Crowns would rather get

nothing than be given stuff they would throw away.

Oversized items unless you know how they are going to

get it home.

These are just some thoughts off the top of my head.

Yers,

Gunthar