[Sca-cooks] OP/OT: Wanted: Opinions on Controversial Florilegium article

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Aug 10 20:29:47 PDT 2009

Greetings to my fellow SCA-Cooks list members,

Recently I added a new article to the Florilegium and announced it in
this month's Florilegium article. I got two, ah, strongly worded,
demands that I remove the article form the Florilegium. I have since
reviewed the article again and do not find it untruthful, although
perhaps it does not always paint the Society in the best light.

The article is this one:
SG-SCA-Youth-art  (10K)  6/22/09  "Survival Guide for an SCA Youth" by
Lady
                                      Gormlaith Bebbin Kathleen
HRothgarsdottir.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/SG-SCA-Youth-art.html

The comments included:
"This article does nothing but portrait the SCA as a group of
backstabbing sexual deviants who engage in sexual harassment and under-
age drinking of the worst kind with enough members who are aware of
such behavior yet turn a blind eye or two." and

"I was deeply disturbed and concerned about what this young lady is
intimating about the SCA.  As a parent this would scare me off from
the organization and really puts us all in a bad light that we would
continue to allow this behavior by our members and turn a blind eye."

My own feeling was that none of what the author said was untrue. I've
seen much of it in my 20 years in the Society. This list is a
collection of diverse individuals with a lot of different opinions at
times. I would appreciate hearing your opinions on this article. I am
not in a Peer-protoge relationship with anyone to turn to. There are
however a number of Peers, and others that I highly respect on this
list. I am interested in comments from non-Peers and folks with and
without children or teenagers, as well.

Should I remove it because it puts our Society in a bad light? Or
leave it as a useful article for the teenagers in the SCA?

The author was under pressure from her local group and then her
Royalty to remove the article and have threatened her father, a Peer,
with loss of his Peerage. I probably will remove the article because
of her request.

I am unlikely to grant the request of a Royal just because they are a
Royal. On the otherhand, I am willing to be convinced that I was wrong
to have ever considered adding this article to the Florilegium.

I don't think this is appropriate discussion for this list, so please
email me with your comments, pro or con.

Thank you.

THLord Stefan li Rous
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com