[Sca-cooks] Cardamon

Judith Epstein judith at ipstenu.org
Tue Aug 11 13:48:39 PDT 2009

Drinks:
I sprinkle cardamom into coffee (Israeli 'mud' or American style, or
espresso), tea, oatmeal and other cereals, sometimes into my ginger
lemonade, and sekanjabin.

Savories:
Cardamom is fantastic in dishes that feature lamb or turkey. It makes
regular appearances in my biryani, kibbeh, dafina, chamin...

Salads:
Yeah, I said it! It's especially good in Forbidden Fruit salad (salad
made out of several fruits that scholars believe to be the "forbidden
fruit" of Hebrew Scripture fame, such as apples, cucumbers, pears,
pomegranate anils, and grapes).

Pilau (Pilav, Pilaf):
Cardamom plus a handful of toasted nuts and dried fruits (I'm fond of
currants, sultanas, cherries, cranberries, gooseberries, and/or black
raisins) will really wake up a bowl of rice, couscous, millet, or
barley. Try it sometime.

Sweets, Breads, and Other:
Anywhere you can put cinnamon, you can also put cardamom, in addition
or as a substitute.