[Sca-cooks] Advice on a Book

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Aug 12 12:51:12 PDT 2009

Ok, I have my copy right here. It doesn't have modernized recipes.
It has descriptive passages from early texts that are dietary in nature.
There's a huge glossary and bibliography. You can use Dalby to get to the
actual sources, but you are going to have to either buy more books
or spend a lot of time in a library, a great academic library at that.
You aren't going to be able to just buy
Dalby and walk in a kitchen and cook full meals from what he provides.

Devra sells this book Byzantine Cuisine –$45.00 by* *Henry Marks.
http://www.poisonpenpress.com/cookery.html
"He has taken a number of Byzantine recipes from referenced sources and
has adapted them for modern tastes while remaining as true as possible
to the original; each recipe is annotated with literary, historical, and
culinary information."

You might like it to start with.

Johnnae (playing librarian)