[Sca-cooks] Toast RE: Cardamon

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at austin.rr.com
Thu Aug 13 01:21:42 PDT 2009

<<< My house, cinnamon toast is toast that you spead butter on and
then sprinkle
with cinnamon sugar. Never heard of the broiler method before. >>>

One advantage of broiling/toasting it with he sugar and cinnamon on
it, is that the sugar melts, mixes with the sugar and butter and then
solidifies as it cools off. Leaves sort of a crusty surface with much
less of the granulated sugar to simply fall off on to the plate or
wherever.

<<< Though the sugar is the problem, I have come to understand that
cinnamon has
been found to lower sugar levels and therefore recommended for
diabetics,
Have I heard wrong? >>>

The cinnamon isn't going to make up for all that sugar sprinkled on
the toast. And the research was on Type II diabetes, not the Type I,
which I have.  I have been taking some cinnamon capsules, just in case
it might help. But I've not noticed any effect. It is easier to eat a
capsule though than a spoon of straight, powdered cinnamon.

Someone mentioned substituting Splenda for the sugar. I don't know if
the Splenda will melt like the sugar, as I mentioned above. Perhaps it
would be worth trying just to see how this cardamon toast would compare.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com