[Sca-cooks] Period substitute for tomatoes?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Aug 21 06:53:20 PDT 2009

You might consider experimenting with eggplant, the "tomatoes of the Jews of
Constantinople."  They can be mixed in with almost anything, pickled,
pureed, baked, fried, etc.  They are more common in Indian and Arab cooking
than European.

Two caveats.  They can be bitter.  And they can soak up oil like a Sham-Wow
soaks up water.  Slicing, salting the slices, then letting them rest while
the cell walls break down and the internal liquids drain is supposed to
reduce both problems.  Other than mousakka, I don't have much experience
preparing them, so I can't point you in any specific direction.

Bear