[Sca-cooks] Period substitute for tomatoes?

Amy Cooper amy.s.cooper at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 08:16:25 PDT 2009

Judith wrote:
"So, if you could just help a sister out, rather than lecture, I'd really,
really be appreciative."

I personally cannot think at all of something Old World that would
substitute for tomato. It's just a totally different ingredient. I
understand how you can come to depend on it, and I do at home as well. It
just seems so out of place for me with period food.

My advice to you, Judith, would be to NOT attempt period recipes at events
until you've gotten to know the recipes on days you are allowed to cook. The
food I generally see in camps at events isn't period. Even the stuff I've
set out for Royalty luncheons isn't 100% period. Many feasts in the Midrealm
are at least period-ish, but I've also seen many that aren't (as in the
Subway/Pizza feasts that used to happen at Dancer's Revolt). I've offered PB
& J at lunch taverns (and been thanked for it by adults as well as kids). If
anyone complains at you because your food isn't period, they are being
HIGHLY rude and need to leave you alone.

So, during the week, do your research, and play with medieval recipes.
Figure out what you like, and what you might be able to make during your
limited time frame on Fridays. Then once you're comfy with the recipe, try
it at an event. But do NOT feel pressured to show up at an event with a
medieval menu. It simply shouldn't be expected!

Ilsebet