[Sca-cooks] Period substitute for tomatoes?

edoard at medievalcookery.com edoard at medievalcookery.com
Fri Aug 21 08:34:26 PDT 2009

I don't think anyone here meant any disrespect.  I think they were
trying to explain that the question you asked (and which has been
debated here numerous times) is inherently problematic.  If you use
*any* substitute for tomatoes in a modern recipe, the result isn't a
medieval version of the recipe.  Instead you have a modern recipe
without tomatoes.

This means the question you asked was kind of like asking an engineer,
"What's a period substitute for uranium in a nuclear reactor."

I tend to focus on the cuisines of 14th and 15th century England and
France, and I've found that the dishes from that time period have a very
different flavor overall compared to their modern counterparts.  If I
took a group of modern recipes from France and swapped out any modern
ingredients for their nearest medieval equivalent, the resulting dishes
would be very unlikely to have the flavor of France's medieval cuisine.

I understand your time pressures.  I'd suggest trying out the occasional
medieval recipe on some other day of the week when there's less of a
crunch, and working the ones you like into your repertoire.  I don't
know of a lot of period Mediterranean dishes, but I'm sure others on
this list have numerous ones they've worked out and are willing to
share.

- Doc