[Sca-cooks] Period substitute for tomatoes?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Aug 21 10:48:21 PDT 2009

The tomatoes sources were cited a few minutes ago. Or check out the
article in
the Florilegium. "Sixteenth Century Italian and Spanish Tomato
References" by Johnnae llyn Lewis, Helewyse de Birkestad, and Brighid ni
Chiarain.

The potato references are even later than tomatoes and are open to a
number of questions. Perhaps they are mentioned in German cookery late
in the 16th century or maybe not. As for the Mediterranean area, and
white potato references---sorry. If you want to explore potato history start
with John Reader's  Propitious Esculent: The Potato in World History.
It's the latest book on the subject.

Johnnae