[Sca-cooks] Period substitute for tomatoes?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Aug 21 11:10:30 PDT 2009

And what is your source for indicating that they fried tomatoes in
millet or rice flour?

We never used the words "flour", "millet", or "rice" in our article.
Here is the one reference:

Translation:

*Apple of gold, so called vulgarly because of its intense color, or
apple of Peru, they are an intense yellow or a golden red - and this
(fruit) is equal and round or distinct in slices (segments) like the
melon - more him that is greedy and eager for new things desires it in
the same way and also fried in the pan like the others, accompanied with
vejuice, but to my taste it is more beautiful than good (tasty).*

Source: "De l'insalata e piante che in qualunque modo vengono per cibo
de l'homo" Manoscritti del 1569-1572 raccolti a cura di Guido Arbizzoni

Translation: *Of the salads and plants in whatever way come for food to
the man.  Manuscript of 1569 -1572 collected in the care of Guido
Arbizzoni*
Sep 5, 2002 *...* "Sixteenth Century Italian and Spanish /Tomato/
References" by /Johnnae/ llyn Lewis, Helewyse de Birkestad, and Brighid
ni Chiarain

Johnnae