[Sca-cooks] OOP: America Eats!

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Aug 24 04:47:51 PDT 2009

I thought I should mention that anyone interested in the WPA files on
American food should also check out the brand new 2009 volume:

  The Food of a Younger Land: A Portrait of American Food--Before the
  National Highway System, Before Chain Restaurants, and Before Frozen
  Food, When the Nation's Food Was Seasonal by Mark Kurlansky.
He's the author of Cod, Salt, etc.

  416 pages; Riverhead Hardcover (May 14, 2009)
It's available in bookstores right now so you can check it out in person.

Nelson Algren's writings were also published in a University of Iowa
Press volume titled oddly enough  America Eats (Iowa Szathmary Culinary
Arts Series)
   123 pages; Univ of Iowa Pr (May 1992)
This one will have to be interlibrary loaned as copies are scarce and
expensive.

Johnna