[Sca-cooks] OOP - Funky smell to Vietnamese Spring Roll Wrappers?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Aug 24 08:06:22 PDT 2009

On Aug 24, 2009, at 10:48 AM, Audrey Bergeron-Morin wrote:

> Maybe there's some kind of dessicant or conservative in the packaging
> that dissipates once it's open?

Could be. I even wondered about some molds on the rice before, during,
or after processing, mimicking some human digestive process and
producing that distinctive barf aroma. Maybe even some kind of insect
repellent. I'm not even ruling out actual ralfing on the product itself.

My lady wife has the true Asian's pathological concern for washing
rice (I apologize for what may appear to be a racist remark; it's just
a very common characteristic I have noted; it is in no way a value
judgement), some of which I'm sure stems from culture-transcending
personal taste and quality concerns over issues like surface starch,
but also feeding into urban legends (and possibly urban facts, for all
I know) about illiterate people mistakenly adding rat poison to rice,
thinking it is starch. I wouldn't know; I don't think I've ever
actually seen rat poison in my life.

I guess what I'm saying is, there's almost nothing that could find its
way into the packing or the product itself, that would surprise me
very much.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter