[Sca-cooks] Julia's on the front page of the New York Times OT OP

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Aug 24 20:14:33 PDT 2009

No one mentioned it but Julia Child was featured on the front
page of the New York Times for Monday, 24 August 2009.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/24/business/24julia.html?_r=1&ref=books

After 48 Years, Julia Child Has a Big Best Seller, Butter and All

I am slightly mystified by the article because it claims
"The book, given a huge lift from the recently released movie “Julie &
Julia,” sold 22,000 copies in the most recent week tracked, according to
Nielsen BookScan, which follows book sales. That is more copies than
were sold in any full year since the book’s appearance, according to
Alfred A. Knopf, which published it."

I pulled my copies of volume one and volume two off the shelf after
seeing the film earlier this month. I checked again tonight and the
blurb for
volume two in 1970 states
"Nearly 700,000 American families already own Volume One." I would take
that to mean nearly 700,000 copies had been sold between 1961 and 1970.

Johnnae