[Sca-cooks] Tartoufles was Yams was Substitute for Potatoes? Digest, Vol 40, Issue 92

Cat . tgrcat2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 25 12:29:06 PDT 2009

OK, if the waters have calmed I will jump in too.

I have a class I have taught once so far (was scheduled again but Mother Nature had other plans) on the "Potato Puzzlement: is it or isn't it?" that included the 5 possibly period potato recipes I have found.. the 4 for Tartoufles and one for Erdtepffel.  I also noted the linguistic similarity between Tartoufle, Cartoufle and Kartoffel.

Anne Marie and Johnnae, thanks for all the great info, I will be adding much info to the handout for the next time I get to teach this hands on class.

At his Majesty Maelgwn's request I will be serving the Erdtepffel as part of the Kingdom of the Outlands Crown Tournament Feast on September 12, 2009.  And yes, the entire menu is chosen from Marxen Rumpolt's In New Kochbuch.

For those who want the transliterated recipe, and lots of other 1580's German veggie recipes:
http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_veggie1.htm

In Service
Gwen Cat