[Sca-cooks] soft garlic for Elizabeta

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Aug 26 15:08:10 PDT 2009

Elizabeta of Rundel commented:
<<< There are, though, certain textures that I absolutely
cannot handle, and onions are a major NO for me.  Onion powder is fine,
anything else onion related, no way.  Same with Garlic, I love the
flavor,
us the hell out of garlic powder and/or garlic salt, but garlic itself
unless cooked to absolute mush, won't come near me. >>>

Elizabeta,

Have you tried baked garlic? We've had several discussions on this in
the past.

When I've had it, at home and in restaurants, the garlic has been
creamy and spreadable, perhaps within your acceptable range. You can
find much of these discussions and recipes in this Florilegium file in
the PLANYS, HERBS AND SPICES section.

garlic-msg        (59K)  1/29/08    Medieval use of garlic. Garlic
storage.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/garlic-msg.html

And if this isn't quite cooked enough for you, there is a variation
using a combination of period and modern methods (the baked garlic may
or may not be period) where the garlic is baked sitting in chicken
broth which might be acceptable to you.

"A modern method for preparing garlic combines the two.  Put chicken
broth in
a dish to provide about 1 inch depth.  Cut the tops from an appropriate
number of bulbs of garlic and stand then top down in the broth.  Bake
at 300
degrees F for about an hour or until soft.

Bear"

There are also some garlic sauces given in this file, and probably in
the sauces-msg file in the FOOD section as well, which might also fit
your requirements.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com