[Sca-cooks] No means no

Anne-Marie Rousseau dailleurs at liripipe.com
Wed Aug 26 15:29:34 PDT 2009

Judith, being new you may not realise but there are tons and tons of ways people use food in the SCA. as you
discuss, one is being an invited guest in their house. but far more common is the "I'll bring snacks to the
meeting" or the potluck social, or the "everyone sitting on the grass watching the fighting and passing random
stuff around". Maybe its just me, being a cook, but I am constantly having food given to me "here! try this!".
if you wander by someones encampment, they will frequently want you to taste what they're making, or join them
for snacks, or try some new and exciting thing they've done with kumquats ;)

then there's the food largesse and gifts...large baskets of mystery foods from a loving populace.

as I said before, food is a funny thing in our culture. tehre is so much wrapped up into it, its offering and
its accepting. the SCA even more so.

and I just wish one could be allowed to say "no thanks" and leave it at that.

--Anne-Marie

On Wed 09/08/26 16:22 , Judith Epstein judith at ipstenu.org sent: