[Sca-cooks] Medieval Catalan Cuisine, was: Need some recipes - Spanish/Portugese

emilio szabo emilio_szabo at yahoo.it
Sun Aug 16 15:38:49 PDT 2009

<< My wee little Shire has been asked to serve lunch at an event. We have been
asked to serve stuff that is Spanish or Portugese ... >>

What today is called "Spanish" would include some medieval arabic sources from al-Andalus
and some medieval sources from Catalunya.

As for the latter, the principal medieval source is the Libre de Sent Soví.

As for recipes and menus from the Libre de Sent Soví and from other medieval sources
in modern adapations see:

Eliane Thibaut-Comelade:
La table médiévale des Catalans.
Montpellier: Les Presses du Languedoc, 2001.

Among other things,

she gives dietary advice from Arnau de Vilanova's "Régiment de Sanitat",

she refers to food and drink related moral discussions in the work of Francesc Eximenis

she reconstructs meals and menus, e.g. from "Tirant Lo Blanc", one of the masterpieces of Catalan literature

she mentions account books and administrative sources

she gives a lot of commentary both to the general background and to specific details (e.g. measurements).

If I am not mistaken, Mme Thibaut-Comelade is on the web at:

http://www.eliane-comelade.com/

E.