[Sca-cooks] Cokerye review ... wailie, wailie!

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Aug 1 17:44:14 PDT 2009

The review was added in part because the issue featured Henry VIII,
items were needed,
and this is the only cookery book that dates from his reign.
(Pynson's book was first printed in 1500; the Book of Carving in 1508.)
There were copies of this edition listed as available earlier in the summer.
I checked before submitting the review.
bookfinder.com has a copy for $19.90 listed at the moment.
They are out there.
Had I known the issue was being planned sooner, I would have done something
on The Tudor Cookbook Proper which is a bibliographic essay and lecture
that I have developed.
(I also give talks on Elizabethan cookery books and also 17th century
cookery items.)
On the other hand Tournaments Illuminated doesn't really want academic
articles
these days, so maybe that wouldn't have been accepted.

Glad anyway that you liked the review.

Johnnae
(and my copy has not arrived)