[Sca-cooks] 16th Century Pizza

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Aug 6 17:14:31 PDT 2009

I should explain that I posted the pizza note because it's just another
funny, well not so funny historical question that we have dealt with time
and time again on this list and since it's showing up all over the web
credited to
this website I am betting we will see people saying they can serve
modern pizzas
at events because of this website and this information.

Hey they have a source that says 1522.

I would suggest the reasons we would not be seeing tomatoes on pizza in
Naples as in

"but later the poorer people of Naples added the new tomatoes to their
yeast dough and created the first simple pizza, as we know it."

 is more a question of how long it took the plant to become established
and produce
enough fruit for it to become cheap enough to be used as the street food.
Would something so rare and so expensive be used or available to be used
as street food?

We also have the new translation of Scappi so we can use that to
establish what
was being said in Italy during the 16th century, but I am sure the
argument will be made that
the papal court did not eat the street food that was eaten in Naples.

I cc'ed the entire post to Baroness Helewyse so it would be in her
in-box when she gets home from the war.
I'm sure she'll be amused.
We are all co-authors by the way of this rather famous article:
"Sixteenth Century Italian and Spanish Tomato References" by *Johnnae*
llyn Lewis, Helewyse de Birkestad, and Brighid ni Chiarain.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/16C-Tomato-art.rtf.
http://www.mkcc.rhawn.com/MKCCfiles/16thCITomatoReferences.html

Why don't you (and anyone else that cares to respond) send your comments
about
historical /inaccuracy/ directly to the site owner at  lstrad at hevanet.com

Johnnae