[Sca-cooks] Seeking Cheesy Goodness in WI

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Fri Aug 7 00:02:46 PDT 2009

Urtatim said:

>Does anyone have any recommendations for places to visit to buy good
>Wisconsin cheese?

A lot of the advertised places are basically tourist traps.  My
contacts in Wisconsin are 25 years out of date, but in the 30's, my
grandfather was a cheesemaker in Mayville Wis, near Horicon Marsh.

I can't recommend a specific store, but here are some resources to
check. I'd look for some brands of cheese you'd like to try.. and
find where they are sold. If you've never seen a cheese factory, it
is very interesting to see the cheese being made.

http://www.thebubbler.com/links/wisconsin-cheese-factories-cheese-shops-4216/
This is a list of cheese stores by county

http://www.cheese-exchange.com/index.cfm
http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/MAIN/cheese/cheese2/whey/wisconsin-cheese.asp
http://wisconsindairyartisan.org/buying_dairy.html
http://wisconsindairyartisan.org/documents/directory2007.pdf
http://www.cheeseforager.com/
http://www.wischeesemakersassn.org/
http://wisconsinidea.wisc.edu/profiles/Grossen/
http://industry.travelwisconsin.com/~/media/Media%20Kit%20Materials/Summer%2009/Artisan-Cheese-Tour.pdf
http://cheeseunderground.blogspot.com/
http://www.wisconline.com/attractions/cheese.html_mashup.html
http://www.wisconline.com/attractions/cheese.html

While you are in Wisconsin, if you like sweet rich things, try the
Kringle.  It used to be only in Racine but seems to  have spread.

Ranvaig
Blessed are the cheesemakers