[Sca-cooks] Seeking Cheesy Goodness in WI

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Aug 8 04:48:58 PDT 2009

On Aug 8, 2009, at 12:50 AM, Audrey Bergeron-Morin wrote:

>> red cabbage...and a wonderful potato creation, Rosti.
>
> Rosti is not theirs. It's... Swedish? In any case, breakfast
> restaurants around here and, if I'm not mistaken, IKEA, have been
> serving it for years...

Nah, rosti are/is Swiss (although other places, obviously, given the
thrust of this thread) have gladly adopted them.

In fact I believe it was Elizabeth Luard (author of "The Old World
Kitchen") who claimed that rosti were an unofficial part of the
process of applying for Swiss citizenship: there is (goes the claim) a
home inspection similar to the one experienced when one is adopting a
child, with a view toward establishing the subject's intention and
ability to "live Swiss". Evidence of cooking and eating rosti (I have
no idea what constitutes that evidence, maybe a suitable pan; I doubt
you have to invite the inspectors for lunch, but one never knows, if
my friend's stories of life as a USCG port inspector are true) is
allegedly part of that process.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter