[Sca-cooks] Seeking Cheesy Goodness in WI

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Aug 8 08:42:41 PDT 2009

>> red cabbage...and a wonderful potato creation, Rosti.
>
> Rosti is not theirs. It's... Swedish? In any case, breakfast
> restaurants around here and, if I'm not mistaken, IKEA, have been
> serving it for years...

Ro:sti are Swiss.  Esther B. Aresty notes in her The Delectable Past, "...in
1598 one Swiss cook--Anna Weckerin--completed the first cookbook ever
written by a woman.  A recipe in it bore a close resembelance to Ro:sti..."
Weckerin's cookbook was the first printed cookbook written by a woman, not
the first cookbook written by a woman and I have yet to verify a Ro:sti-like
recipe being in the book.  So, if I can ever locate the recipe, I may
prepare it for a feast, just for fun.  Purple Ro:sti, perhaps?

Bear