[Sca-cooks] Seeking Cheesy Goodness in WI

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 8 11:27:33 PDT 2009

Elaine Koogler <kiridono at gmail.com> wrote:
>  We did enjoy House on the Rock...but also visited Taliesin, Frank Lloyd
>  Wright's home and studio near Spring Green.  Absolutely gorgeous!

I made our reservations to tour Taliesin and
Hillside. I'm trying to decide whether to go to
House on the Rock afterwards or to one of the
sites mentioned below.

>  Some of
>  the other places we visited that we really liked were Little Norway (south
>  of Madison), the Mustard Museum at Mt. Horeb (again south of Madison),

We arrive in Milwaukee in late evening. Then we
have a reservation at Sanford, supposed to be one
of the 40 best restaurants in the US. As long as
there are no problems along the way we should be
able to check into the hotel first. But just in
case, i asked and the restaurant said they could
stow our bags.

Saturday morning we pick up a Hybrid and head
west. My plan is to use Mt. Horeb as our home
base. We stay at a 1950s motor court. Nothin'
fancy, knotty pine paneling, but a good price -
and they have WiFi. And the Mustard Museum is
there! Sometimes i just eat mustard right out of
the jar with a spoon. (and i don't mean that fake
French's yellow abomination!)

The main focus of the trip is visiting outsider
art/ folk art/ vernacular art sites:
* Wally Keller's Scrap Iron Menagerie, just outside Mt. Horeb
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/22004

* North: Tom Every's Forevertron, near Baraboo
[http://www.neatorama.com/2007/09/11/forevertron-worlds-largest-scrap-metal-sculpture-by-dr-evermor/]

* Northwest: "The Painted Forest" by Ernest
Hüpeden (c. 1850-1911) in former "Modern Woodmen
of America Lodge #6190", near Valton
http://paintedforest.edgewood.edu/
http://www.kohlerfoundation.org/painted.html

* Southwest: Nick Engelbert's Grandview, near Hollandale
http://www.nicksgrandview.com/Welcome.html
http://www.kohlerfoundation.org/nick.html

* very Southwest: The Dickeyville Grotto in, well, Dickeyville
http://www.dickeyvillegrotto.com/

Other things i hope we can do are:
* Amish Farmers Market Hillsboro, WI, Saturday
* Babcock Hall Dairy Store, University of
Wisconsin-Madison - this may be our cheese stop

Too far away, unfortunately, are:
* Herman Rusch's Prairie Moon Sculpture Garden
(between Cochrane and Fountain City)
http://www.kohlerfoundation.org/rusch.html

* The Wegners' Grotto, outside Cataract
http://www.kohlerfoundation.org/wegner.html
and
* Fred Smith's Concrete Park, in Phillips
http://www.kohlerfoundation.org/smith.html

We won't make it to The Dells, either.

We will also spend one night in a B&B near
Sheboygan (i love saying that name). I guess I'll
probably have to eat a brat while we're there.
And we'll visit the John M. Kohler Arts Center.
Then on our way back to Milwaukee to turn in the
car and catch our planes, we'll visit two more
vernacular art sites:
* James Tellen's Woodland Sculpture Park, just south of Sheboygan
http://www.kohlerfoundation.org/tellen.html

* Mary Nohl House, just north of Milwaukee

My thanks to several people have been feeding me
info behind the scenes: Johnna, Rainvaig, and
another Westerner who now lives in Lochac and is
not on this list.

Someone sometimes called Urtatim