[Sca-cooks] Seeking Cheesy Goodness in WI

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Aug 8 17:24:18 PDT 2009

To quote Aresty:

"Ro:sti

Top make those delicious potatoes (now a national favorite of the Swiss) an
ordinary non-mealy boiling potato is best.  The day before you plan to serve
the dish, boil 4 generous-size potatoes in their skin until a fork pierces
them easily.  Peel while hot and leave in the refrigerator overnight.   The
next day, shred potatoes on a julienne shredder that yields a strip about
half an inch wide.  Mince a medium sized onion finely and mingle it with the
potatoes taking care not to break them.  Heat an iron skillet and pour in
enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom generously.  Add the potatoes;
douse with salt and pepper to your taste;  sprinkle 2 Tablespoons of milk
over all and let cook over a fairly brisk fire untilpotatoes are golden on
the bottom.  Turn them carefully trying to keep the round shape intact.  (I
invert the potatoes on a plate, then carefully slide them back into the
skillet to finish on the other side.  A bit of trouble, but well worth it
for the golden, crusty result)."

Enjoy.

Bear