[Sca-cooks] Another Le Mesnagier de Paris

emilio szabo emilio_szabo at yahoo.it
Tue Aug 11 09:54:02 PDT 2009

> Has anyone seen (perhaps someone in Europe)

>  Le Mesnagier de Paris : La cuisine médiévale à la fin du XIVe siècle
>
> by Marty Dufaut Josy?
> 15 euros

Il s'agit

It is a book of 64 pages, large format. The author, Josy Marty-Dufaut,
a former teacher (according to the short portrait in "La Gastronomie du Moyen Age. 170 recettes
adaptées à nos jours", 1999) has written several other books on medieval cuisine.

I have not read the whole book, but I will try to give some first impressions.

The book contains grosso modo two parts: one part with introductory chapters on the Menagier and medieval cuisine
(e.g. the author and his work, chapters on different foods, the medicinal background, cooking techniques etc.).
This fills page 2 to 24.

The pages 25 to 61 contain selected recipes, adapted from "Mesnagier". So far, I have not found out, which edition the author used.
There is a small bibliography, but the Menagier is not mentioned there. The recipes are integrated in sort of a portrait of the "Mesnagier" culinary corpus.

Each adapted recipe starts with the original text (without reference), a description of the adapted cooking mode and a list of the ingredients.

The photos are beautiful!

E.