[Sca-cooks] Period substitute for tomatoes?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Aug 21 06:33:22 PDT 2009

You are starting backwards. Don't take your modern dishes into the past--
research actual medieval dishes and make them in your kitchen today.
(It's almost always a failure to take a modern 21st century recipe and
attempt
to think that by removing the New World tomatoes, & red peppers, you'll
end up with something that tastes ok.)

We have actual pre-1600 recipes for a number of countries and ethnicities.
Take a look at what is offered at:
http://www.thousandeggs.com/links.html
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/recipes_introduction.html
http://www.medievalcookery.com/etexts.html

One book you might like is The Original Mediterranean Cuisine by Barbara
Santich.
It covers those areas of interest and has appropriate recipes and a
bibliography.

Johnnae