[Sca-cooks] Period substitute for tomatoes?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Aug 21 07:38:35 PDT 2009

On Aug 21, 2009, at 9:10 AM, Judith Epstein wrote:

> Now I'm looking not just at religious or health-related
> restrictions, but also at Period-correct cooking. I know tomatoes
> couldn't be found in use until VERY late in Period, and even then,
> only for a handful of areas. My cooking styles are Persian, Arab,
> Indian, and Mediterranean (my persona is a traveller, and would
> certainly have wanted to try her hand at local cuisines, since among
> other things, her family trades in spices -- she'd want to know how
> the locals would be using them).
>
> Anyone got an idea of what to substitute for tomatoes in things like
> tabbouleh, Jerusalem salad (entirely made of cucumbers, tomatoes,
> and onions, plus oil and spices), or the various biryanis and other
> Indian cooking which heavily features tomatoes or tomato paste?
> Tomatoes make up such a big part of my modern diet that I'm having
> trouble figuring out how to do without them in my medieval life.

I've got to agree with what some others have said here. Yes, you can
substitute for tomatoes (try a few tart gooseberries if you want
something vaguely similar from the Old World). However...

I hope you won't take this the wrong way, but I'm just not really
clear on why, for someone looking to live like a person in period,
substituting for something most of these people never heard of is an
issue. They substituted for tomatoes constantly, 24/7; they had no
choice. But they had plenty of recipes, many of which have survived,
and they had crunch, moisture, and tanginess, and any other quality
one could look for, in their food. They simply were in the habit of
achieving it differently. For someone looking for period Middle
Eastern dishes, there are excellent translations of Al-Baghdadi, Kitab
al-Tabikh, and the Anonymous Andalusian cookbook available.

I'm reminded of Paul Prudhommme, speaking of the celebration of the
3000th anniversary of the founding of the city of Jerusalem. He was
one of many chefs who had been asked to come and help with various
banquets, and unlike some, he embraced the requirements of Kashrut [if
temporarily] without a murmur: his doctor had already given him a long
list of foods to scrupulously avoid if he didn't want to die, and the
imperative of staying alive, he said, had clarified his thinking
greatly. The challenge was simply to be as creative as possible within
the group of acceptable ingredients, rather than waste his energies
bemoaning the ingredients outside of that group. This side of
Prudhomme raised my respect for him enormously.

My own experience in the SCA is that this kind of thing is one of the
biggest parts of the fun. I'm not going to worry about how to sneak a
substitute for chocolate, or anything else, into my SCA diet: I'd
rather see this as an opportunity to broaden, rather than narrow, my
horizons.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter