[Sca-cooks] Period substitute for tomatoes?

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Aug 21 11:53:37 PDT 2009

>When I get to an event that opens at five on Friday, though, and
>Sabbath begins around 8:00 PM to 9:00 PM, that gives me VERY LIMITED
>time in which to follow someone else's recipe for foods that have to
>be completely cooked and edible at least an hour before sunset.

  It sounds as though one solution would be to look through the period
cookbooks for something that either can be made very quickly or can
be made in advance, and the only problem is that you have not yet had
the time to do so. Some possible suggestions in the second category:

Badinjan Muhassa is a dip that keeps in the refrigerator for days;
someone has already posted my recipe for it. Good with pita.

Barmakiya is a layer of cooked meat (or fish or fowl) and onions and
stuff between two thin layers of bread, all baked together. I make it
just before the event and bring it with me. Recipe in the Miscellany:

http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/miscellany_pdf/Miscellany.htm

My lady wife suggests cold pies--there are lots of period
meat/egg/cheese etc. ones. You can't use both meat and cheese
together, of course, but I expect you could find some recipes in that
category that wouldn't violate the kashruth rules. The ones I'm
familiar with are European, but that includes Italy, which is
mediterranean. For example, from Platina, Torta of Herbs in the Month
of May, or Another Crust with Tame Creatures, both in the Miscellany.

>So, if you could just help a sister out, rather than lecture, I'd
>really, really be appreciative. If there is a way to get that fresh,
>flavorful burst (without using eggplant if I don't have to -- I know
>it's all the rage in the medieval Near East, but I don't actually
>like it)... I'd love to know what it is.

I don't know of anything that would be a close equivalent to
tomatoes. Fruits such as plums might give you part of what you want.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com