[Sca-cooks] Is Zuccnini Marrow?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 21 22:48:12 PDT 2009

>  Am correct that Zuccinni is marrow and if so how about a few some what
>  period recipes for using it up?
>                     Kay

Well, marrow is the center of a bone, where the blood is formed. It
is rich and flavorful and used in many medieval dishes.

Zucchini, on the other hand, is sometimes known as vegetable marrow,
and is a New World plant, or the descendant of a New World plant. It
may have made it's way to Europe in the 16th c. (Bear usually has the
details of this sort of info :-)

I have discovered that medieval white flower gourds are available
locally (to me), where they are called by their Pilipino name, opo.
I've never been a big fan of zucchini, but i really like the flavor
and texture of opo, white flower gourd.

So you could use zucchini in any medieval recipe that calls for young
gourd. But zucchini is much wetter than white flower gourd, so you
may have to adjust the cooking time and the amount of liquid in the
recipe.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita