[Sca-cooks] Period substitute for tomatoes?

Carol Smith eskesmith at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 22 15:54:04 PDT 2009

Coming late to this discussion.

Judith, you said that "cooking is the one thing you can do in a short time frame".  What about your attire?  Surely, you could sew on other days of the week (by hand is "best" but sewing straight seams by machine is the modern equivalent of handing that work off to the new apprentice seamstress, according to one of the better sewing Laurels I know).  Using period materials (Linen , wool, and silk are the obvious ones; hemp and ramie known, and cotton, depending on area of interest) would be a plus, and embroidery or tablet woven trim would be appropriate for most of our time period.  You would have to research the patterns and stitching methods of the time you're interested in, but that is what we're about, no?  It couldn't be done on Saturday, but you do have 6 other days in the week to to the research.  Try it; you might find another art form you enjoy.  The Athena's Thimble group will be most helpful in getting you on the right track.  And you can explore recipes in your free time when you aren't preparing for events, to find things you can cook in advance to meet both religious and Medieval standards.  If you can't find anything you like in the Medieval cuisine you're exploring, try another cuisine.  Keep trying until you find something you like and can live with.  You will eventually find something.  Good hunting.

Regards,

Brekke Franksdottir