[Sca-cooks] re period substitue for tomatoes

Judith Epstein judith at ipstenu.org
Mon Aug 24 05:56:31 PDT 2009

On Aug 24, 2009, at 5:27 AM, brooke white wrote:

> [snip] Or, find somebody willing to accomodate your sabbat needs by
> cooking for you
> on that day, whit you helping out on sunday ;)
> Good Luck and fine flavor
> Elisande

It can't be done. To be kosher, one of the biggest requirements is
that the food must be COOKED and ready to eat before the Sabbath
begins; that the fire must be lit by a Jew; and that the food must be
put to the heat by a Jew. Lighting fires is forbidden on Shabbat, and
so is putting uncooked or partially-cooked food to the fire. So I,
myself (or another Jew whose kashrut observance I trust) must prepare
the food on Friday to be ready to eat on Friday night and all day
Saturday.

But, again, I adore cooking, so I figure that this is a form of
service that I can offer at an event. I love doing it, others benefit
by it, and it's something very Period. Plus, I'm getting to learn a
great deal about how Period Jews dealt with cooking and eating on the
Sabbath, so it's an all-around win.

Judith