[Sca-cooks] Yams was Substitute for Potatoes?

Anne-Marie Rousseau dailleurs at liripipe.com
Mon Aug 24 13:59:28 PDT 2009

> >> Off hand, I can't think of any recipes in
> either the period European >> or Islamic corpus that use them. I don't
> even know if there is any >> evidence that they were used in the  parts
> of the world from which we >> have surviving cookbooks.

Casteaus Ovverature de Cuisine (1604) has recipes for "tartufles". there is some discussion on if that is
truffle or potato, but Cotgraves contemporary French:English dictionary describes them as as potatoes.

served with the proscribed red wine and butter sauce they are lovely :)

--Anne-Marie, who is fully aware that teh occasional recipe for potato or turkey does not make them common
fare for most of our sca period, and so thinks that their use should be limited to the wacky crazy nouveau
items they were....