[Sca-cooks] Period Shabbat

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Aug 25 00:31:46 PDT 2009

Phlip suggested:

> I'm thinking that those of you who do go to events while keeping
> strict Kosher would be more helpful to us poor non- Jews if perhaps
> you might have a small pamphlet or something to make available to
> Troll or someplace else, that will allow us to help you without
> violating your rules of conduct. After all, we may not always think
> of the right questions to ask- and I have no doubt that most of us
> are quite willing to do whatever is necessary to help you have the
> most pleasant possible event experience. After all, I certainly know
> that I couldn't do much of what I do to set up for events without
> the help of others. We're all in this together, folks ;-)

And Judith replied:
<<< That's a really good idea. I was thinking of offering to teach a
class
at some point on the practicalities of Jewish observance at SCA events
and/or in the Middle Ages, so I guess I should spend this winter
working out some class materials, including a pamphlet such as you
describe.

Judith >>>

Judith, if you end up writing such an article or pamphlet, I would be
interested in considering it for the Florilegium. That would get you a
bit more coverage of the Known World. I know that strictly observant
Jews seem to be much more prevalent up in the northeast than down here
in the South. So many of us would be at a loss in knowing what
restrictions you might be under and what we could and could not do, to
help.  I know I've learned some things from this discussion in the
last few days that I did not know or misunderstood.

I think planning this for next spring would have some additional
advantages. Since you are still new to the SCA, this would give you
time to work out what does and does not work for you. It also might
give you the chance to experience a greater variety of SCA events, as
well as events in different regions or even kingdoms. Of course one of
my standard policies with the Florilegium is that I will accept
updates at any time, which means that as you learn more or find
changes you wish to make, you can always get your article updated,
unlike something frozen into print form, as in say, TI.

While message files rather than articles, I have some other articles
about and for the use of various minorities in the SCA, such as:
non-SCA-part-msg  (45K)  7/29/97    Dealing with partners who are not
in the SCA
SCA-gays-msg      (16K)  9/17/98    Acceptance of Gays and Lesbians in
the SCA.
SCA-minorites-msg  (7K) 10/31/00    Attitudes in the SCA toward
minorities.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com