[Sca-cooks] Substitute for Potatoes?

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Aug 25 05:37:31 PDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 8:15 AM, Judith Epstein<judith at ipstenu.org> wrote:
>> On Aug 25, 2009, at 7:10 AM, Mairi Ceilidh wrote:
>>>
>>> Judith, I hesitate to jump into this nest of vipers, but twill weave has
>>> been found dating back to the Iron Age.  It is Very Period.
>>>
>>> Mairi Ceilidh
>
> *snicker* 6,000 people who can't afford garb just punched the air.

No they haven't, Judith, because they are at least aware that they're
striving for at least an attempt at Medieval garb. Unortunately, you
aren't aware of this yet.

As you might have guessed, I've been at this for a while. A few years
ago, I was cooking a feast that would be presented in early spring,
after a long winter of preserved foods, and I felt that at that point,
a Medieval person would have wanted some fresh greens to go with most
of the rest of the food. I couldn't find exact documentation, but I
did, with the help of a few friends, research what fresh herbs might
have been in season for my when/where, and, as another modification,
for the benefit of some vegetarians, used olive oil rather than fat
(normally would have used lard, but had some goose and duck fat that
I'd have used instead) to cook them as a hot "sallat" as part of my
meal.

When I posted my speculative recipe along with the rest of the actual
period recipes I'd used, one of out members posted anoher recipe that
was within an herb of what I had done, rom a source very close to the
when/where I was cooking from. THAT is what we're striving for, when
we get crweative with our Medieval foods- an understanding profoiund
enough that we can make the same substitutions or additions they might
have made.

And, quite honestly, until you study enough to know what they might
have done in the same circumstances, you simply don't know enough to
make these substitutions.

Or, put another way, next time you have an event requiring a reading
from an Hebrew text, why don't you hand it to me, who doesn't read a
word of Hebrew, and I'll "read" it as if it were English with very
poor handwriting. It might be amusing, if not very accurate.

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up
Hit it hard