[Sca-cooks] Pennsic Busses

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Aug 25 05:50:57 PDT 2009

Actually what you might want to be recruiting are experienced farmers
with their
own tractors and their own hay racks, willing to spend 8-9 hours a day
there for two weeks.
Having grown up in a family that has bailed hay for generations (my
mother bailed with horses
when she was very young), one of the problems you are going to encounter
is that few farmers
grow hay these days and have the hay racks. Many that do bail use the
round bails that don't require racks.
We still bail in Illinois on the farm, but even thirty years
ago that was very rare. My dad got calls every fall from the school
classes wanting to borrow
the racks for use for homecoming floats and hayrides. (How many
community parades now use trucks for their floats?)
Even if they could spare the time and the equipment for the War, there
would still be the question of course of liability.
Could you get sued if someone fell off the rack or jumped off?
Most farmers with small farms these days also have full-time jobs off
the farm, so you'd be competing with those jobs.
And of course you'd have to pay them for their time, equipment, and fuel
costs.

Johnnae